Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Movie Review: The Rescuers Down Under

Howdy everyone! I'm writing my very first movie review and I hope you like it! My goal is to keep these reviews short, sweet, and entertaining, with clips and pictures, and four sections: Summary, Animals, Conservation, My Favorite Part. I might tweak this format a bit in the future, but I think it worked well for this movie. And without further adieu (wow, I never knew how to spell that word...) here is my movie review!  


The Rescuers Down Under is a Disney movie about two mice who travel to Australia in order to rescue a boy kidnapped by a poacher. Sounds a bit ridiculous, but I really enjoyed the story line and the stunning imagery. If you haven't watched it since you were little, it's definitely worth a re-watch, or at least watch this scene where I get extremely jealous of the main character because he gets to RIDE AN EAGLE: 



Animals

No Disney movie would be complete without talking animals! The confusing part of this film is that some animals talk and some don't, but hey, who questions details? I'm very happy that their animal characters were accurate with their origin- goannas, kangaroos, koalas, crocodiles, and even a kangaroo rat  all make appearances in their native Australia. I also found it cool that the mice used an albatross for travel across the sea, like an airplane, especially since, in real life, these birds can glide for hours above the ocean without beating their wings! It makes the whole international-travel-for-rodents concept slightly plausible! 



Conservation

The villain of The Rescuers Down Under is a poacher. Oh, and he is a mean poacher too! He has all sorts of animals locked away in chains, he drives a monstrous cage-truck, and even abuses his faithful lizard/pet/sidekick Joanna. Not to mention he tries to feed a poor little blonde boy to the crocodiles. While all this makes it easier to despise him for the sake of the story, I can't help but mention that poachers are not always evil. I know, I know- blasphemy! But sometimes poachers are people who have no other way to feed their families, or who don't know any better, or who are forced into it. I am definitely going to get back on this topic and expand on it in the near future, but regarding this film, we all love to hate McLeach the poacher. 




My Favorite Thing About the Movie

Joanna the goanna was definitely my favorite aspect of the entire movie! In my opinion, she is more comedic relief than Johnny Depp was in Into the Woods (sorry Mr. Wolf!). Her constant antics are entertaining no matter what age you are! For your enjoyment, to end this review, I have included a scene of her stealing eggs:




I hope you all enjoyed this post, and please feel free to leave me feedback! I know it's a bit different than my previous post styles, but if you like my movie reviews, and my posts on Disney, I'll be happy to continue with those topics! Thanks for reading everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment