Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Careers in Wildlife Conservation

Howdy folks! I wanted to write a quick post about careers in conservation, and what you can do to help outside of a formal career. 

Picture credit: reserveamerica.com
Careers 

Wildlife conservation is a very rewarding career field because these professionals really make a difference in the world! There are many areas you can explore:

Wildlife Management: invasive species control, habitat restoration- check out US Fish and Wildlife and the US National Park Service 
Research: population biology, ecology, resource management, habitat preservation- try the EPA, and a great place to look for jobs is the Texas A&M Job Board, they have internships and volunteer opportunities too!
Education: nature centers, zoos, aquariums- take a look at the Association of Zoos and Aquariums

Keep in mind, I'm just brainstorming here, trying to give you a few suggestions, and there are a whole lot of jobs that I'm sure I haven't even thought of! But if you are interested in any of these topics, the links I included are great places to start. My best advice is don't be afraid to reach out! For example, I went on the Texas A&M Job Board and found an internship in Colorado. Even though I couldn't commit to it, I sent an e-mail to the listed contact, and, thanks to a wonderful park ranger, ended up volunteering for two weeks at Rocky Mountain National Park! 
I'm very proud of this picture I took in Colorado! 
Education 

If you're really interested in a career in wildlife conservation, take a look at educational institutions that will prepare you for one. If anyone reading this is around college age, these school programs are definitely worth your consideration (there are plenty more around the country, go ahead and Google it!)

Conservation and Wildlife Management at Delaware Valley College (my favorite!) 
Ecology and Evolutionary Science at Rutgers University
Fish and Wildlife Biology and Management at SUNY
Natural Science at Colorado State University  

I thought this was a cute picture :)
Volunteering

Don't want a career in this field? No problem! Many organizations use the help of volunteers to help promote conservation! Check with your local zoo or aquarium for volunteer opportunities, the National Park Service again, or even your local town may have something! The Texas A&M site I linked before is helpful too. If you want a real adventure, go on an Earthwatch expedition- you can participate in hands-on research in some of the most exotic and beautiful locations around the world (and if anyone wants to take me on one, I can be packed in about twenty minutes!). You could always just play with sea turtles, too. 
...which is what I would be doing if I could afford it!
Being an Activist

While not a true career for many people, one of the easiest and best ways to help out wildlife conservation is by being an activist. What do I mean by that? I mean showing your support for causes such as recycling, habitat preservation, and endangered species protection. You don't have to go start a rally, helping can be as easy as clicking a button. Here are some websites where you can sign petitions to help conservation:

Earthjustice
Change.org (includes petitions of all kinds) 

You can also support organizations like United for Wildlife and World Wildlife Fund through monetary donations. 
Another easy way to help is just by spreading the word! Post a link to a conservation article on your Facebook page, or tweet something to raise awareness (United for Wildlife uses #WhoseSideAreYouOn), and of course, you can always tell your friends to read my blog! =P 

Thanks for reading everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment