Pages

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Book Review: Jeff Corwin


Jeff Corwin is famous for his work in wildlife conservation, and I have been a fan of his since I was little. While it's hard to compare anyone to Steve Irwin, I would say Jeff Corwin is the American version of the late Crocodile Hunter, teaching audiences about animals from around the globe with his funny and educational TV shows ("The Jeff Corwin Experience" has over 13 million viewers in the US!) 

In this book, he narrates a series of tales about the world's most endangered species of animals. "100 Heartbeats" means that 100 or less of the animals of these species exist in the wild. And not only does this book talk about heartbeats, it also pulls on heartstrings- I found myself crying several times over the atrocities some of these animals face. But on the flip side, Mr. Corwin's outgoing and entertaining personality shines through, and kept me hungry for the story on each following page. Even for someone educated in animals and conservation like myself, this book was an eye-opener- it showed what is going on on the front lines of these issues. 

In short, I recommend this book to everyone. I absolutely loved it, and I think if more people read this piece, the general public would have a better appreciation for wildlife and those fighting to protect it. So do yourself a favor and buy it

For fun, here's a video of some of his shows' clips! Can you see why I adore this guy?



Here are a few links to some more of Mr. Corwin's projects:
TV Shows and Appearances
Another Book of His
Emerald Canopy Rainforest Research Association

With the summer ending, I look forward to posting more often, so keep checking back! And of course (you guessed it:) thank you for reading! 


No comments:

Post a Comment